Thursday, February 23, 2017

It's always hard to say agur

Today was my last day in school and my last day in Arrasate.  Tomorrow, we will head to Bilbao to explore, then fly out on Saturday! Wow this trip was so fast!

Today, I got to see many of the teachers that I worked with in my time in Antzuola!  I got to spend the morning with Laura and Jon Ander, and I spent the afternoon with Miren.  I also got to see many of my students from the past month!  One of my classes (6th grade) even made me a thank you card.  It was so nice to see how much they appreciated having me around.  I appreciated even more how they welcomed me into their classrooms and let me learn from them.




Being in Antzuola, I was able to see how effective projects can be in learning.  Since the students center their curriculum around one topic, they get to explore every subject (math, reading, writing, etc.) in an exciting way instead of through a boring textbook.  I got to see meaningful, hands-on learning!  I was also able to see their beautiful learning community.  These students all work together as a team to achieve a common goal.  I can tell that they are learning valuable life and social skills that will really benefit them in their futures.

My experience here has been unforgettable.  I have met some amazing people who welcomed and helped me feel comfortable at all times.  Even the teachers I met who did not speak English did their best to communicate with me in any possible way.  This school was like a family, and I am so glad that I got to be a part of it, even if just for a short time.  I am forever grateful to my wonderful teachers and students who really opened my eyes and broaden my perspective of education.  Being surrounded by this foreign language and experience as helped me in more ways than I even realize.  I can be a better teacher now because I know what it is like to feel lost and uncomfortable.  I know what it is like to feel like you don't know what's going on.  I know what it is like to struggle communicating ideas.  I experience so many students who feel this way, and it's so easy to forget how they feel!  After this experience, I learned about how they feel through first hand experiences.  I understand that students may need more time or even a new explanation if they are struggling.  I know because I lived it.  This experience was absolutely priceless.  I was able to travel while learning and teaching, and I don't know if I'll ever get that chance again.  I am so glad I took this opportunity! It's been quite the {ed}venture!!

Tonight, we are going to our last Pintxo Pote of the trip with Tane and Sinead!  It will be great to see them one last time before we go back home!

Until next time Basque Country! Agur, Ms. Peachy

ESKERRIK ASKO!!
(thank you)