Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Half Way There

Hi friends!

This is the half way point! We have been here two weeks and there are two weeks to go.  We are having an excellent time so far.  I love being in the schools and seeing what there is to see.  I wanted to talk about what I have learned so far here.  Since the schools are very different in the United States and in Basque Country, there is a lot to compare.

We love Basque Country!

First, I want to talk about the school itself.  Since these children are learning three different languages, each of their classrooms runs a little differently.  Most of the day is in Basque, and they get a total of 2 hours and 45 minutes of English per week.  There are 3 English teachers for the school.  Two of the teachers are part time and the other is full time.  I am lucky enough to get a chance to work with all three teachers.

I also get chances to work with many different age groups.  I work with children from age 5 to 12.  We see many different groups of children each day.  This is very different from the US in which I have one class that I spend all day with.  It is very interesting to see so many kids each day!  They are all so eager to get to know me.  They ask a lot of questions.  It is really good practice for them since they must ask me questions in English.  I am also useful in the classes for pronunciation.  There are many times that they will ask me how I say certain words so they can practice their English as well.  As for the little ones, they don't understand as much, but just speaking to them in English helps them learn.  We work with them by reading books and practicing their English as a group.

Older children work together with computers

Lots and lots of group work!




5 year olds creating art!!

5 year old classroom

5 year olds act out their story with the masks they created.


Children research different candies around the world.

I had talked about how teachers are called by their first names at the schools.  This school is more casual in other ways as well.  The students get to discover their own learning.  They don't use direct instruction as much as we do in the US.  The school also runs on a more relaxed time table.  In the US, the schedule is very prompt and precise.  The school here has more time to get from one place to another, allowing children to talk and play with each other in between classes.

English Classroom Time Table


I want to talk a little bit more about how students learn in Antzoula.  I really like the way that they do their projects.  They get to explore and discover all the different aspect of their topics.  Here are some of their projects on display.








Projects, projects and more projects! The hallways are beautiful!


I have learned so much from the schools so far.  It is very interesting to hear learning in another language.  It helps me to understand what it must be like when students are higher than their ZPD (meaning the stuff their are learning is too complex for them to understand).  It must be like someone is talking to them in a foreign language.  Sometimes I think it is just as hard for them to understand my English as it is for me to understand their Euskara (Basque).

Basque vs. Spanish - VERY different.


Can't wait to learn even more in my next few weeks in the school in Antzoula!

For now, I am off to Madrid! Agur, Ms. Peachy

P.S. We have been famous in our little town over here! They put us in the newspaper and even put us on the "local telly" as they call it. When we get the video, I'll post the link!

In the newspaper!

At the TV station!

Ready to be on the telly!